Bogalusa Heart Study (BHS)
Open BioLINCC Study See bottom of this webpage for request information
October 1, 2008
January 27, 2006
Clinical Trial URLs
Primary Publication URLs
Commercial Use Data Restrictions No
Data Restrictions Based On Area Of Research No
To investigate the early natural history of cardiovascular disease in a cohort of children and young adults in a biracial, semirural community.
Lifestyle attributes such as tobacco use, physical inactivity, and a high-fat, high calorie diet, begin in childhood and are established risk factors for cardiovascular disease. While clinical cardiovascular disease occurs later in life, the characteristics of atherosclerosis, hypertension and diabetes can be present in childhood. The Bogalusa Heart Study began in 1973 as a long term study of the early natural history of cardiovascular disease in a semirural parish of Bogalusa, Louisiana. More than 16,000 individuals, many with multiple exams, have participated in the Bogalusa Heart Study. Subjects have ranged in age from birth to 38 years.
The Bogalusa dataset includes 11,796 participants that attended at least one of seven cross-sectional pediatric exams and/or the 1995-96 adult examination. Subjects were ranged in age from 3 to 20 years at the pediatric exams and 20-37 at the time of the adult exam.
The examination included standardized questionnaires to determine education, occupation, smoking habits, family medical history, reproductive history, and physical activity. Examination components include blood pressure, anthropometry, lipid profile, and other blood lab values.
Requests for Open BioLINCC Studies are submitted through this website. Click the Request button to begin.
Resources AvailableStudy Datasets Only
- Data Dictionary (PDF - 583.2 KB)
- Adult Exam Coding (PDF - 103.6 KB)
- Adult Exam Protocol (PDF - 205.5 KB)
- B100 Coding Manual (PDF - 72.3 KB)
- B400 Coding Manual (PDF - 72.2 KB)
- B600 Coding Manual (PDF - 72.4 KB)
- B900 Coding Manual (PDF - 37.7 KB)
- C300 Coding Manual (PDF - 40.9 KB)
- C600 Coding Manual (PDF - 43.8 KB)
- Days Between Exam Coding Manual (PDF - 26.2 KB)
- Pediatric Exam Protocol (PDF - 1.3 MB)
- Selected Bibliography (Bogalusa Heart Study Selected Bibliography) (PDF - 180.5 KB)
- Selected Bibliography (Selected Recent Reference List) (PDF - 64.2 KB)
- Study Overview (PDF - 12.6 KB)
- Z200 Coding Manual (PDF - 38.7 KB)
Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in the study documents. For assistance, Contact BioLINCC and include the web address and/or publication title in your message. If you need help accessing information in different file formats such as PDF, XLS, DOC, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.